Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ownership


Malone - a 'stick' person
        
  In my previous posting, I viewed the relationships the central character of “Molloy” made with both his mother and bicycle. I wish to expound on a similar note, but this reflection will look purely at the objects Malone has fancied. The most fascinating aspect of all this is the manner in which Malone declares tenure over these substances.

Surely, this was Malone's bed

            The setting of “Malone Dies” takes place in a solitary room where Malone does remains practically motionless on the narrow bed where his dying body resides. Malone does not look for ownership in the entirety of things he once owned, but instead that which is in reach from his bed with the use of a trusty stick. He lists only an exercise book, a stick and a French pencil as his only true possessions since they are always near him, but there are many possessions piled in a heap that Malone normally ignores.


            Beckett snuck in a few similarities for Malone’s ownership that I feel directly related to my explanation of Molloy’s relationship with his bicycle. The bicycle bell of Malone’s that he faintly remembers is a quick reference to the other instances of bicycles in Beckett stories; although, the true connection comes in the ownership of an object that no longer gives any use to the owner. Molloy loves his bicycle quite a bit, yet he can no longer is use the bike practically since he is crippled. This is the exact relation Malone holds with his single boot that has many ‘eyeholes’ displaced throughout it. Just like Molloy, Malone uses this boot and other objects to draw forth the desirable memories once had with them even though their usefulness has depleted in their current states.

1 comment:

  1. Drew,
    Your blog is very interesting and as very interesting pictures. Although, I have a hard time discerning why the pictures have been placed where they are. What is their purpose? Also, I think you ave found a great idea in the love of the bicycle, and I think you should expand more on this. Other that a few minor mistakes, it is a good blog.
    suggestions:
    paragraph 1 "...his mother and [his] bicycle..."
    paragraph 2 "...Malone [take out 'does'] remains..."
    paragraph 3 "...no longer [able to] use..."
    -Marla

    ReplyDelete