It’s been ages since I’ve done a proper post about the China
experience. I think I’m due for a quick dissertation on…well I’m not sure on
what I’m just gonna write bout this, that, all of the above, and just see what
happens. Let us start with the surveillance issue as of late; a problem
revealing itself immensely in the wake of the new mayor (at least I think it’s
a new mayor, that’s the issue you deal with having a Chinese person with -
let’s say decent because I’m being nice - English describe what’s happening in
the world o’ China). The Big Brother dilemma was already becoming prevalent
enough with the witch hunt against the only decent foreign band (R.I.P.), but a
new law goes against street vendors; an effort hoping to modernize the
aesthetic look of Dalian since this is a tourist city, and we all know how much
the Chinese love their ‘communist’ commercialism. Now my facts on the subject
are a bit shaky, because again I’m getting my information through a Chinese
person and can’t look up the news myself because the Chinese government is
‘smooth’ (take notes, NSA!). Street vendors are no longer allowed to sell any
goods on the streets, whereas before there were numerous stands for fruits,
vegetables, cheap meals, garbage accessories, etc. These are honest people
trying to make a living and they sold decent stuff for quite a bargain. You can
buy a decent meal on the street for a dollar fifty USD and that’s not half bad
when you haven’t the time to cook nor want anymore of that Mcdonalds or the
like. There are still farmers markets, and plenty of people go on selling they
goods on the street since ain’t nobody be giving a single fuck what the law has
to say- this is China after all - though
tis odd how it has dramatically shaped the landscape around my house. I
previously had to walk on the road instead of sidewalk near my house because it
was too crammed with street vendors. This proved tiresome, always is a pain all
these crowds around anywhere you find yourself walking, yet it breathed a
certain life into Dalian that you can’t find back in the states. The street I live once possessed a kind of flavor, peculiar taste, a reminder I was in China and not some Western city, and now that feeling is gone walking down these empty streets, still packed with more people than wanted for one who lives the solitary life, though a feel an indescribable emptiness without those merchants shouting this way and that. Yesterday, I passed by the shoe tailor and saw two police officers talking to him, certainly the cops in charge of cracking down on street vendors since most police here just chain smoke cigarettes at headquarters and can't be fucked doing any real work (note: no complaints about the majority of policefolk here, rather they do nothing than be an angry prick on a power trip). Today, I passed the tailor again and his shack was gone and still he sat on the sidewalk with his leathers and wears, ready for another day. There was a frown, hiding but there, perhaps because he knew when they came back it would be over for him...already warned, and hopefully for his well-being, already forgotten.
The best part of the show was when they called for volunteers and three
people came down. The elephant grasped the women’s boobs and when it got to the
Chinese man, it grazed his cock, stopped, continued the touching, stopped, once
more, walk on, end of show, have a good night and watch your step. The man was
too far away for me to see his reaction, but I am sure he was shitting his
pants, as any man would a giant beast such as that huge paw up and down that
fragile shaft of yours. The monkey exhibit also caught my interest since there
was such a variety of the furry creatures:
Finally, I wanted to have a spiritual connection with my brothers and
sisters (the pandas: my Chinese spirit animal; as opposed to my Western kin: the
snow owl). I experienced the same reality here as was the case at the Qingdao
zoo; the pandas are fucking miserable in this contained environment and want
nothing to do with it. Perhaps I just don’t know pandas well enough. After all,
I’ve never had a good chat with a panda; however, a particular certainty tells
me these majestic prophets hate this fucking captivity and wish to be free.
Does my heart wrong, but hey, I took pictures:
I miss a decent
beer, lease a mildly good beer that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg to get
drunk on. I used to think American macrobrews were utter shit (because they
are), but living here long enough has made me enjoy the tastes of foul
concoctions such as Budweiser, Coors, Pabst, etc. Drink a 6-pack of Snow beer
in one sitting, and follow it up with a nice cold Budweiser…you’ll see the
magnificent difference. I remember being thrilled at first how cheap beer is in
China, and a month later I had to accept the awful nature of their piss water.
I have actually come to conclusion they make snow beer by drinking an American
beer and then urinating into a can. Try a TsingTao (yes it’s disgusting, but
its fair game here), and then imagine a beer that somehow tastes even worse
than that. You will really need some vivid imagination to understand what Snow
beer is like until you try it. In TsingTao’s defence, I went to their brewery
and it was super cool plus the ‘raw beer’ they had there was quite delicious
I have been ordering IPAs off the Chinese version of Amazon, and it
does the trick, but I can’t be fucked buying beer on the internet that often. I
even paid out the ass (around 10 USD) for a single bottle of Dogfish Head 90
minute Imperial IPA while in Beijing…because it’s really just that good
The Chinese version of liquor, Bahjiu, is even worse. Averaging at 104
proof and tasting of car oil (haven’t tried car oil but honestly it may go down
smoother), Bahjiu is the foulest shit on earth. It’ll get yah drunk, and you’ll
be having a shit time in no time. This stuff is a last resort when I want to
get plastered and am too cheap to buy a bottle of Jose Cuervo. I certainly
become intoxicated in a moment’s notice, but is it really worth it? Not in the
least.
My favorite class
at my kindergarten graduates next week
These kids were the only decent part of that kindergarten; the other
three classes I have there are a pain in my arse but that may also be because
those kids are between 2-4 and the teaching assistants do fuck all in helping a
brother out. Weird to think I have been here 10 months now, and in 2 months I
will be teaching at Dongcai University of Finance of Economics. I was informed
the other day I will have a few graduate courses I will be teaching and this
truly blew my mind. Just 2 years ago, I was sitting in a classroom being taught
Literature and now I will be getting paid well to teach Chinese graduate
students American Literature and writing. I still remember the summer following
my graduation; drowning in existential angst of what the future will bring a
student of Literature. Perhaps if I was a better student, there would be greater
opportunities for me, but I spent that summer washing dishes on minimum wage
and doing anything that would get me high and forget about the foreboding doom.
I recall driving with Dr. Hobby to the mountains with a classmate and we discussed
with him where to go from here. He had told us our degrees were meaningless
because the true key to success was our personalities and how right he was. I
spent 4 years in college pursuing something that interested me, and I am still
going after a life that is entertaining for me rather than some boring desk job
where the hours brood me by as I contemplate which meat to consume that evening
for dinner. Things have worked out, least for now. Today I saw a Chinese fellow
wearing a Beckett tee that read my favorite quote by the master: “Ever tried.
Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”
No comments:
Post a Comment