Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Poems in Progress IV

Example
This is an example
Of a free verse poem
One that I have just assigned
To all of you
I hope you can be creative
Collaborate on a glorious piece
Worry not the content
Or the style
Just write

And be merry

Writer’s Block
I came up with a great idea for a narrative today
Dawned upon me while in the act of teaching
Writing
To a group of business majors
I wanted to say
Put away your notebooks
I have something great to announce

I stored the thought away for when I went home
By that time
Forgotten
Hoping not lost
I sat there on the floor recycling apparitions
My mind dealt a heavy load
Searching for the abandoned chronicle
Knowing its rummaging in there somewhere
An idea stretches out a heling hand

A beer
A good cold beverage
Would ease the nerves
Make the path radiant again

I come back from the fridge and
Stare
At the blank television set
Some thriller to excite me would make this a bit easier
The lights flash

I flick through for an hour
And a couple beers
Now, I am ready
The stomach tells me otherwise

I get a couple microwaveable dinners from Walmart
Because one never suffices
Also grabbed a few cold ones
In the process

I believe my thought earlier was about Mars
Some woman living there named Veronica
No, it was about Samuel Adams being an
Arrogant Bastard

Nonsense:
The pizza is ready
Crust not golden
Crumbles between my fingers
The taste is fine
Drowned in dark stout

The phone rings:
Rather, it vibrates
Silently
I feel it nonetheless
Dangling in my trousers
Answer the phone
The only answer
I know
Well, time to see my mates

I put away the notebook
Toss the pen in the bin
Slick back my hair
And trim the moustache
Observe myself in the mirror
Carefully eyeing
Head to toe
Thrice
Up and down
Back and forth
Every corner noted

Proceed out the door
Only to return later
And immediately
Sleep beckons me
I heed her call
Not a thought in my mind

Smoke Break
The air is poison
A haze of phlegm
Rising as I puff
The fag

Students march by
Another 8 hours left for them
Another 2 for me

I’ll go out tonight
Relaxing with friends
Anxious to return again

They’ll study at home
Making their amends
Anxious to return again

Time to teach
Rising as I put
Out the fag
Anxious to return again

Passport
I got my passport back today
My new visa between the leaves
I delved through the document
Remembering my great travels
From these pasts few years:

China, 2014-2015
China, 2015-Present

Bangcui Dao
I’m standing on a cliff
Overlooking the vast, clear ocean
Yet to be polluted
The sun has passed its zenith
And the tide’s fading away

Across the way I can see
Bangcui island
A mass of rocks, moss and a hint of
Greenary
Encompossing its peak

There are men about the inland
Ants of the horizon
I can’t see clearly
Still I know
They are hunting for mussels
Filling white buckets to the brim
A god day’s job accomplished

And I ponder on this hollow cliff of mine
Across the way
What it would be like
To be one of those folks
Just for a day
To leave my worries and
Cares behind me
My only objective:
Bringing home an entire bucket
Perhaps two
If I can truly hone my craft

What a day that would be
Coming home
Sharing with all
The smiles illuminating from their faces
And the praise thrown my way
And the stories I would tell
The odysseys I would fabricate
Going into great detail
Of my adventure
Fiction and falsehoods
Feeling true joy
For a day’s work

TV
Sometime its nice being isolated in a culture
Divided by that language barrier which interferes
With my daily life
From time to time

I know how to ask for cold beers and smokes
Though not a clue how to ask for directions
Or wanting no carrots in my stew

But there are moments like these
When she’s watching TV
I'm sitting here writing
Glad I don't understand
Any of it

I like to pretend
Sometimes
That the actors on the screen
Or the howling merchants
Are chatting about something of great value
Like world peace
Or a cure to ennui

I know its the same rubbish we watch back home
Similair mindlessness rehashing a stagnant thought
Over and over again
A way to pass the time
I suppose

I’m an optimist though
Daydreaming there’s something deeper about it
They’re revving fast cars like in those
Amiercan flicks
Something is quite different
Maybe there is a deeper meaning
Under those layers of estranged words
A mess of characters and tones
Still foreign to me
After a year of living here


No comments:

Post a Comment