I prepared my lesson with Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos and 4 pictures from Dr. Seuss books. I started the class with having them free-write about science, and after about 15 minutes, had them share what they had written with the class. I followed this free-writing with these 4 pictures:
Truth be told I'm not sure the second picture is actually from a Seuss' novel, nonetheless, I had them observe the pictures and then told them I wanted to write a narrative account that tied these four pictures together, in any chronological order they saw fit, adding setting and details inbetween the actions of the illustrations. I gave them an example I hastly wrote the previous evening:
Last night, I had a magical dream I was being taken
away by a balloon into the vast sky above. At first I was frightened of such a
journey, but as I looked around me, I noticed many others who looked like me
holding on to the strings of their vessels as they laughed in joy for adventure
ahead. I felt so free in that sky…a certain freedom unbeknownst to the former
me that lay sleeping in that bed of mine. All my responsibilities of work,
school, family life, etc., etc., were all behind me now, and without even
thinking, I let go of the string carrying my balloon and went stumbling down
through the clouds with a smile embracing my face.
From far away, I
could see a little yellow ship that contained several people and vehicles.
There were men and beasts bouncing around, a little man with a red hat offering
green eggs and ham to a furry man who seemed displeased. I tried pushing my
falling body towards the scene, but before I knew it, I landed in a swamp. I
looked around and could see nothing. I swam, and swam, and swam, yet nothing
came, endless flocks of grey water clouded the horizon before me: an eternal
abyss strutting my arms through murky liquid hoping for some way out. Suddenly,
I could see a beast that looked like a deer that emerged from the depths before
me, but unlike a deer, this creature had the tail of a serpent and was a
humongous beast though seemed friendly nonetheless. As I got closer to this
creature, I noticed land and a large tree house vibrant with colors and vibes.
I focused more clearly on the treehouse and saw tiny yellow men feeding the
deer serpent snowballs as they laughed and chatted about the weather. I wanted
to get closer and have a conversation with these surreal entities, yet the fear
inside me said to get on land and run as fast as I could. I no longer felt free
and worried perhaps these creatures were not so friendly if they were to meet
one of my kind.
I travelled
through the forest and heard strange sounds conversing above me. I could see
nothing and still their voices continued to chirp. It sounded like that of a
bird though a bird I had never heard before. I saw one of these bird-like
beasts and it looked me straight in the eye. I tensed up for a moment, but it
seemed happy and perched on my shoulder. I dared not move and it placed its
beak on my head. I pet the thing, it smiled, so I continued to pet it, and soon
it flew off again. I came across a small lake where a yellow monster was taking
a swim. I tried to sneak past him, but he knew I was there, and somehow could
speak my language.
“Top of the morning to you sir!”
What should I say, I thought
“Where are you from stranger.”
“Ummmmm, I am a human, from earth.”
“Why, you don’t say, what brings you to this neck of the woods.”
“I….I…don’t know, to tell you the truth.”
“No worries, friend, here comes the cart.”
A cart pulled by
an ox approached and from within was an everlasting blackness. I stared deep
into the void and suddenly awoke back into reality.
What a dream that was, I pondered.
I brushed my
teeth, and went out to work, wondering what to think of that strange land.
I let them get to it after reading my example. I walked around to observe them and they all seemed quite engaged in the activity at hand. When I called for the ten minute break, the vast majority of them continued to write. I was shocked by the drastic change in the environment, whereas before when break was called they immediately switched their focus to their phones. In both of my writing classes, they enjoyed the activity and happily read their stories to partners and I even had a few who wanted to read to the class.
That's all for now, tune in next week when I'm being antisocial and choose not to share any blogging on the interwebs due to busyness with nothingness.




No comments:
Post a Comment