Saturday, December 12, 2015

Discovering the Self amongst Winter in Ghost Town, China

Winter arrived suddenly; autumn passed over silently; the memories of summer a dim memory playing a discordant melody in the background.  I bought a PS4 recently because I knew I wouldn’t be leaving my house much during such a dire time of year. I thought maybe this could be a time to get back into writing and finally begin the first steps into that premiere novel I’ve put off for year after year. No time like the present, but it’s a shame when there’s never any feeling in the present. 3 more weeks in the semester, 2 weeks of marking thereafter, and then 6 weeks off. Will I fully utilize that time to pursue artistic interest? Maybe finally learn Chinese after a year and a half living here. I can relearn guitar since this guitar has been sitting round for half a year with barely any play. Perhaps hit up the gym more since my developing beer gut seems a health issue. I’m not sure yet what potential I will achieve come the winter holiday starting mid-January, but it is certain I won’t have too many options in leaving my house so I’ll need to make the most of it. My whole plan of getting this university gig was it would put me into the environment of academia and thus would inspire me back into my own academic pursuits i.e. my writing career and pursuing my master’s degree.
Near the middle of the summer, I began to await winter’s return because the heat was becoming too much. The grass is always greener, in this case greyer. Winter’s arrival has not been the greatest, yet it has reminded me what time of year it is: Dungeons n Dragons. I began my first campaign as DM (dungeon master, for noobs who don’t know) this past Wednesday and so far it has revitalized the creative spirit nestling inside of me. The introduction to the campaign was taken directly from Fallout 4, since I have logged countless days in the past 2 weeks and it has taken total control of my brain. Because it’s far too grim to play a post-apoctolyptic wasteland for the whole campaign, I am currently working on a world map and giving players options to choose which worlds they want to spend adventures in and I will draw up cities and adventures in these cities (and not surprisingly, everyone wants middle earth and I’m all like aye LOTR is average). It was awesome playing the evil conjurer Ted Flannigan in our previous campaign, yet thus far it has been so much more rewarding being the DM, the person needling in the fabrics of the story and watching his creation unfold before him with the help of an epic crew. The crew is also a lot more rounded out this time around: two heavy-hitters, a squirrel person capable of communicating with vast amounts of creatures, a bard with amazing support abilities, and of course the all-powerful mage with his major setback of being such a fragile little thing. We had to spend most of the night doing character creation, but I am sure this is something I will be looking forward to every Wednesday during this somber winter season. I even got my students to play a simplified version of DnD in class the other day. Basically, I created four classes: wizard, warrior, elf and dwarf. Gave each alternating stats in HP, Attack, Defense and Speed, where the attack is the dice they roll to determine damage, defense was the roll they needed on a d20 for a successful hit - basically just armor class from DnD - and speed determined who went first because explaining initiative to them would’ve been too complicated. They simply chose a class and then battled it out. With only 6 students in that class, it’s a damn shame we didn’t play DnD all semester since I think these folks woulda really enjoyed it, but it being my first semester…I wanted to play it safe and was worried straight-up playing DnD all semester woulda been weird to do in a uni setting (and how wrong I was!)
It has also been nice that my girlfriend has picked up on painting. Having someone else explore their creative habits instead of just watching television all day has also inspired me to not just be a lazy bastard. I watched Miyazaki’s Whisper of the Heart with my writing students the other week and that’s the theme that always hits me the hardest…when you’re in a relationship and both people have their own creative avenues, even when the artistic pursuit is different, it inspires the other person to give it all they got because you want to show each other what you have accomplished. My girlfriend can’t understand the complete narrative of my works because her English is average, yet she still comprehends the passion I put into my creations and notices how it makes me happy, just like I can’t understand painting in the least but when she’s doing it I can feel this sublime joy embracing her every stroke.
I was having fish n’ chips with my mate the other night and it’s always good having a chat with him because he’s also a sexually deviant atheist writer. He’s an author of children’s books, and in some strange way, this has helped me realize a direction to take in my writing…away from the Joyce/Beckett-esque narratives I have tried creating, coming to the realization I can in no way attempt to rise to their ranks and need to find my own voice in this fear-stricken world at war. He asked me how my writing had been going and I simply replied I hadn’t the time now that Fallout 4 was in my possession. He said that was a damn shame; gaming was great but it wasn’t worth sacrificing valuable time that could be spent honing one’s creative craft. I didn’t disagree with his statement, but it had been nice reliving those times of years past hiding away in the virtual world and becoming this superman entity that before only resided in the daydreaming passing me by while twitching pencils and calculators in the classroom. I took what he said to heart. The following day, he was hit by a car…yes, he’s fine now nothing fatal, but nonetheless, it was another wake-up call to taking action NOW and not waiting for some other time…because who knows if the future will ever come in this fragile life we all live. I am glad to say his recovery is going well, and I hope the next time we meet I can tell him about the advancements I’ve made on my end in pursuing my artistic calling.

I’d like to think this journey has helped me in better realizing who I am. It’s a shame I’m less productive in creative outlets with all the free time I’m given, yet I am starting to come to terms with this overarching idleness that has controlled me since my adolescent years where the beginnings of existential angst and anxiety began dominating my entire being. I love playing video games and eating/drinking on a god damn leather chair all day, though my soul yearns for something more than passing through this world as another nameless pawn who works day to day just to put food on the table and forgot one day it’ll all end and I’ll be ashes in the fray. The time for allowing doubt and apathy pave my path are hopefully dwindling, for I know these feelings will reside with me so long as I breathe, but only through action and determination can I hope creating a work capturing my sardonic perception of this life. Not much to update on from my end, same old same old, I’ve changed but I’m the same radical bastard I was back then, just older and more prepared for the disappointments and joys of living. About half a year before I’m back to the states for a visit…let’s see how much more can change before then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment