Monday, November 6, 2017

DUFE Cat

The tabby cat that roams my campus grounds is simply called DUFE cat, since DUFE is the acronym of my university (Dongbei University of Finance and Economics). I have come across this mysterious creature numerous times in my 2 years here. Even today, I ran across him on the steps of the building I work in, which is one of his common spots.
I wanted to ask him what he calls himself, if he calls himself anything. Or if I am correct in my assertion that he is a he and not a she. Instead, I simply called him kitty and he continued to doze in his spot. As apathetic as he is, DUFE cat is an immensely popular caricature at the university. When I make my students act out scenes for things like proverbs or idioms, there is typically a role play that in someway incorporates DUFE cat. He is greatly loved, but does nothing to garner that admiration.

I have tried following him around before. It reminds me of the protagonist from the Miyazaki film Whisper of the Heart. She comes across a cat, Moon, and follows him round one day. I followed him that one day, walking alongside him down the sidewalk during a stroll through the uni. In the end, he perched on a spot outside a building and stayed there until I was bored and carried on with my busy day. I think in some ways I am jealous of DUFE cat. I care not for his undeserved adoration since I don't give a damn what others think of me. Rather, I wish I had a home like DUFE cat's. He is free to go anywhere; he doesn't need a job. The students feed him, nothing asked in return. Why can't I be fed for free? If he so wishes, one day he can move to another university. Maybe even sneak on a train and go to another city. A new land; different universities; more caretakers. How I envy the simpleton.

I type this post trapped in my comfortable little box, wishing I could be out there glaring at the stars... though knowing I would be puffing on the toxic fume in the process. Outside in the moonlight without a care in the world; I would travel station to station exploring new worlds every step of the way. In this sublime moment, I would bask in the glory of freedom and hoping to jump from place to place. What a life to be freed from these shackles of slavery. No more fears of finances or finding my place in the world. A reality where I was the master. In charge of my own destiny and not a pawn in a game of cat and mouse. Would I be willing to live the life of the DUFE cat? Could I become a free spirit in a world that demands conformity and compliance?

There is a sad truth in my answer: I found my spot, and I am afraid of leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment